Monday, January 6, 2014

Simple Black

 


Experiencing DvF wrap dress fatigue after so many holiday parties, I chose a simple black outfit with an edge for my friend's birthday dinner party on Saturday.  I found this long Helmut Lang draped jersey skirt at Nordstrom Rack in the fall.  Although far outside my usual style, the skirt felt so good on, I had to make the purchase, promising myself that I would wear it.

The black color makes it easy to fit with my usual pieces while creating a totally different look: I threw on a black Spanx top (fancy!), lace tights and boots, topped with a Miss Wu leather jacket and a Marc Jacobs bag before heading out the door.  Also! deep purple lipstick.

Although I've worn the skirt only twice so far - and it could be worn with more natural aplomb by the likes of Odyssey or Pret a Porter P - I still love how it feels on (far cooler than my usual self).  I like knowing I have an outfit like this to pull out of my closet when needed.